Monday, February 24, 2014

Hello.... Sioux City?

In her new area Sioux City, IA
So, the biggest news of the week was that it was transfer week. I thought I was staying put--I'd only been in Kearney for 5 and a half months, and President Weston has been adamant that people are staying in their areas for up to 8 months. Also, I've only been Sister Muasau's companion for 3 months, so I was sure we were staying together longer (plus there weren't any sisters coming out, so I knew I couldn't be called to train anyone new).
Imagine my surprise, then, when Thursday morning came and President called. I was being transferred to Sioux City, IA to serve with Sister Gomez and to be a Sister Training Leader. I think I was definitely shell-shocked. I was not thinking that I would be taking part in such a huge change. But I was. And it shifted all of our plans for Thursday: Suddenly I had to PACK. And clean up. And boy, I was not prepared for either of those, or I might have tried to sort through some things on PDay. So, Mom, you can expect a package to come home with some things I could no longer keep with me. 

I was so sad to leave Kearney and the YSA. I have grown to love them so much. But then, Thursday evening, after we taught the mission prep class, a bunch of them threw me a going away party and surprised us. I may or may not have cried later, but I will neither confirm nor deny. And you definitely shouldn't ask Sister Muasau. Anyway, we've struggled to find investigators, but one of the people we've been working with to come back to church thanked me for helping him to return to church and study his scriptures. And his girlfriend thanked me for answering her questions and giving her a Book of Mormon. And I realized that even though not all of my efforts resulted in a lot of people being baptized, I still fulfilled my purpose as a missionary and inviting people to come to Christ. I will miss them a lot.

On Friday, Sister Muasau and I said mostly dry goodbyes and I headed on a van to Omaha. I was met by Sister Gomez in Omaha, and then we headed up to Sioux City, Iowa! Sister Gomez and I were in the MTC together, though in different districts. We saw each other in Zone Trainings there, but that was pretty much it. It's cool and exciting, though, to be with an experienced missionary. I feel like she is training me. I am driving, so I get to know the area, but I still really have no idea where I am. I wish I had a map to look at. That might put the info in my head. 

Anyway, our area covers parts of Iowa, Nebraska, and (drumroll please) South Dakota! I get to go to South Dakota on Tuesday for some appointments, so I will let you know if it is all I've dreamed of and more. The YSA area covered parts of Kansas, but we never got to go there, which is a shame. I really wanted to see all the states in my mission, but I may have to save Kansas for another time. Also, we have a member taking us to the reservation sometime soon to meet some of the members there. We don't really have the miles to get there ourselves, so we need a lot of rides. 

I met the ward on Sunday, and they are really neat. I like them all a lot and I look forward to getting to know them. And one of the speakers ended up not being able to speak, so guess who got to speak? That's right, the two new missionaries! (The Elders had 1 switch out as well.) That was fun. It's one of the pitfalls of being a missionary: Any time the meeting goes short, you're on the short list for whom to ask to come up! 

I am living with a family again, which is nice! The Luebberts are really great and friendly. They also provide a lot of food for us, which is also nice. I love living with members and being able to come back to a home. It is so much nicer. I highly recommend it. ;) 

I feel like there is probably a million more things to say, but I can't think of any of them. Maybe next week? In the meantime, I love you all and I can't wait to let you know about the next big adventure!

Love,
Sister Loradona May

No comments:

Post a Comment