Thursday, January 16, 2014

Amazing Subject Line Here (My creativity has flown, folks)

Church yesterday was fantaaaastic! I work with the YSA Branch, right? And normally we have between 10-15 people at sacrament meeting. Well, the Stake President asked all the Bishops in the Stake to attend our branch and bring their YSA types with them. And we had close to 80 people there! It was cool! Seriously, it was awesome. We had a couple of investigators there, and that was awesome, too. We have one who is taking it slow, but I'd rather have a slow, lasting conversion rather than a quick one that maybe doesn't sustain itself. Even if I won't be here when he decides to be baptized, I'm okay with that. I don't want him to do it for me--I want him to do it because he has been converted and believes.
 
Our Branch President is pretty cool. He tells some of the coolest stories, and I want to relate the one he shared yesterday. He spoke of going with his brother-in-law to play basketball on an outdoor court in L.A. It was the kind of thing where if your team won, you stayed on the court and the losing team rotated off and you faced a new team. He said they watched for a while, and it was a rough game: no one called fouls, and you just played on. And he noticed that one team dominated and just stayed on the court. He watched them, and there was one guy who, while one team was leaving the court and the next was coming on, he would dribble around, and then make a shot and say, "Okay, the ball's yours. We're one up." If you tried to protest that the shot didn't count, that you hadn't started, he would say, "The game has started." President Crockett then said, "The game has started. And it's on." So what are we going to do about it? He went on to talk about how the time is now, not later, to get in the game, to repent, to change, to make a game plan. And that it is righteousness that is unique in the world, not wickedness. Wickedness looks the same, and ends up the same. The actual phrase he used (which I wrote down because I liked it so much) was "Wickedness always devolves into the banal." It's goodness that stands out. So be good, because that will make you a much more interesting individual! I have decided that I need my own Pocket Crockett (patent pending) so that when I am down, I can just pull him out and have him say pithy and uplifting things to me.
 
We had a good week--not as good as I could dream for, but it was good nonetheless, and I am excited, because the university is back in session this week, and so that means students are baaack! Yes! We may actually catch people at home now! Holidays are lovely, but they really put a cramp in my missionary work. Stop celebrating, people! Bah humbug! :)
 
I almost forgot! Transfers were this last week, and... nothing happened. I'm still in Kearney, and will be for the next 6 weeks. I love you all and I will write again next week!
 
Love,
Sister Loradona May

No comments:

Post a Comment